Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)

Barlow, Milton (1818-1891)
Section G, Lot 34  
In cooperation with his father, Thomas, Milton Barlow invented and built the first planetarium in Milton's silversmith shop. Originally, Thomas simply wanted to illustrate the movements of the planets for his grandchildren, but the process became a three year effort of careful meshing of cog-wheeled gears to produce the minute fractional revolutions of the planets. In 1844, the father and son sold their planetarium to Girard College. They continued to build planetariums for ten years, selling them for $2,000 each and exhibiting one at the 1851 New York World's Fair. Milton's tombstone reads "Kentucky's two greatest inventors." In addition to being an inventor, Milton was chief of ordnance to Confederate Generals Abraham Buford and John H. Morgan.  

Back to Notable People