McChord, James (1785-1820)

Section D, Lot 116  
Moving to Lexington from Baltimore with his parents at the age of five, James McChord was educated at Transylvania, studied law with Henry Clay, and attended theological seminary in New York. Returning to Lexington, he preached, taught astronomy at Transylvania, and became a member of its board of trustees. In 1815, a group of influential citizens provided for him a new house of worship on Market Street, known at the time as the McChord Church, and now the Second Presbyterian Church.

Back to Notable People