The arboretum tour of The Lexington Cemetery includes forty-one trees. The tour begins at the Henry Clay Monument.
The tour may be taken as a whole or in two parts. The first half ends after the ginkgo, Number 23. The second half begins with the cucumber tree, Number 24, and covers a wider area of the cemetery.
All of the trees on the tour are marked with metal plates.
The trees in The Lexington Cemetery have been allowed to grow naturally with no use of insecticides or feritlizers. In most cases these trees are the best specimens of their species growing in this area, and some are the largest of their kind. That is because the cemetery was established in 1849, and the trees which have been planted have not been pruned or trimmed into artificial shapes.